Borrowing from Other Libraries
Students, faculty and staff of the Loyola and Notre Dame communities can access resources from other institutions through the Library’s partnerships and services. Borrowing policies and procedures vary by institution.
University System of Maryland and Affiliated Institutions (USMAI)
Current Loyola and Notre Dame faculty, staff and students can borrow books from all University System of Maryland & Affiliated Institutions (USMAI). Materials can be picked up in person at any USMAI library or can be delivered to the library or another pick-up location by placing a request. There is an exception for reference books, some special collections, and media.
- From the catalog, Loyola and Notre Dame faculty, staff and students, can request delivery of an item that is not at Loyola Notre Dame Library (LNDL) but is available at another USMAI Library with an “On Shelf” status. If uncertain of an items eligibility, you can try to request it or contact the lending library.
- Requested items are generally available for pick up from the LNDL Circulation Desk within a week. Delivery to Columbia or Timonium Campuses requires an additional 1-2 business days for arrival. An email will be sent when an item is ready for pick-up.
- Borrowing periods and renewals vary by library. Due dates are available through the borrower’s library account. All books are subject to recall which may shorten loan periods.
- Fines and fees for overdue, lost or damaged USMAI materials vary by library, are billed directly from the lending library and should be paid to the billing library. Unpaid fines are turned over to the State of Maryland’s Central Collection Unit which may refer the debt to an outside collection service.
Baltimore Academic Library Consortium (BALC)
Students, faculty and staff of the Loyola and Notre Dame communities with their institutional ID may go directly to any BALC institution to borrow materials.
Interlibrary Loan (ILL)
ILL is a free service available to current Loyola University Maryland and Notre Dame of Maryland University students, faculty and staff to:
- request physical items not available in the USMAI system
- obtain articles and chapters not available at Loyola Notre Dame Library (LNDL)
Login to ILLiad
Access ILLiad directly or by using the convenient “Request through Inter-library Loan” links available in Seeker and other database search results.
Once you are logged in, you can:
- request ILL articles, books, chapters
- check the status of requests
- retrieve electronically delivered items
- check ILL due dates
- view checked out ILL’s
- cancel requests
- view past requests
ILL is not to be used as a source for textbooks.
ILLiad New User Registration
First time users must complete a new user registration for ILL.
Registration serves several purposes:
- allows one time entry of personal information
- enables prompt and accurate delivery of materials
- allows easy access to information about requests
- tracks history
The unique username and password entered here will be used to login to ILLiad in the future.
Articles and other digital materials will:
- usually be delivered within 24 hours
- be accessible in ILLiad
- be available for 30 days
Books and other physical items will:
- take about two weeks to arrive
- be delivered to users specified delivery location
- be available for pick-up until the due date
An email alert will inform you when items have been delivered and are ready for pick-up.
Loan Periods and Renewals
Loan periods and renewal for physical items vary according to the lending library, but the majority range from 4-12 weeks. The interlibrary loan slip will identify the loan period for each item and whether it is eligible for renewal. Due dates can be verified in ILLiad.
Renew items in ILLiad or contact email@example.com or call 410-617-6804.