The Loyola Notre Dame Library (LNDL), located in northern Baltimore City serves Loyola University Maryland and Notre Dame of Maryland University. It is a member of the University System of Maryland and Affiliated Institutions (USMAI). The library serves as an integral part of the campuses by providing information services and resources to support the academic programs and educational concerns of the two institutions. Loyola University Maryland, a member of the Association of Jesuit Colleges and Universities, is recognized for excellence in teaching and learning. Notre Dame of Maryland University is a leader in the education of women and non-traditional students. The Library serves a student population of 6,100 FTE.
The Library offers an excellent benefit package that includes medical, access to dental, life, disability insurance, and TIAA‐CREF retirement. Successful candidates will be subject to a pre‐employment background check.
The Loyola Notre Dame Library is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national and ethnic origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, disability, or age.
Employment Opportunities at LNDL
Interlibrary Loan Assistant
Interlibrary Loan Assistant
The Loyola Notre Dame Library seeks an energetic, collaborative, and service-oriented person to join the Collections and Access Services Department, which includes Interlibrary Loan (ILL). The ILL Assistant borrows materials from other libraries, lends LNDL’s materials to other libraries, reviews workflows to ensure efficiency, and monitors emerging trends in ILL technology and services. Functioning as a member of a cross-trained Access Services unit, this position provides excellent customer service at the Library’s Help Desk as needed, supervises student assistants, and tracks unit statistics. Reporting to the Access Services Librarian, the ILL Assistant works Monday through Friday in a fast-paced environment.
- Processes all borrowing and lending Interlibrary Loan requests using ILLiad and Rapid ILL software in a timely manner, and follows national and international ILL standards and best practices.
- Communicates with students, faculty, staff, and other libraries promptly to fill borrowing requests and resolve lending questions. Seeks guidance from the Access Services Librarian when appropriate.
- Collaborates with Access Services staff to train and supervise ILL and Help Desk student assistants.
- Maintains patron privacy online and in person, and models appropriate behavior for student assistants.
- Assists the Access Services Librarian in recommending, formulating, and implementing policies and workflow procedures to continuously improve ILL services for Library users. Maintains up-to-date documentation of workflow procedures.
- Collects and records ILL statistics in support of annual reporting requirements and to support data informed changes to services, programs, and the user experience.
- Uses Aleph Integrated Library System to manage circulation functions including material check out, recalls, and returns, and maintains circulation data.
- As needed, provides excellent customer service at the Help Desk on the phone, in person, and online.
- Possesses a positive attitude, ability to be future-oriented, and embraces change.
- Must have flexibility to work a varied schedule during exam weeks.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree;
- Demonstrated excellence in customer service and commitment to customer privacy;
- Demonstrated attention to detail and ability to prioritize tasks in a fast-paced environment;
- Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills;
- Ability to effectively use technology required for the work of the position including ILL software packages, email, and Microsoft applications, especially Excel;
- Demonstrated ability to adapt to patrons’ changing needs and adjust accordingly;
- Must be able to lift up to 40 pounds, push heavy book trucks, and move and unpack boxes with or without accommodation.
- At least one year of experience working in circulation, reserves, or ILL in an academic library;
- Working knowledge of ILLiad, Rapid ILL, Tipasa, OCLC, or other bibliographic management/resource sharing systems;
- Working knowledge of Aleph or other integrated library system;
- Knowledge of copyright and intellectual property issues.
Review of applications will begin immediately and the position will remain open until filled. Please submit electronically a resume, cover letter, and a list of three (3) work-related references with “Interlibrary Loan Assistant”
in the subject line to Briana Marine, Administrative Operations Coordinator: firstname.lastname@example.org
Employment Opportunities at Our Member Institutions