The Loyola Notre Dame Library (LNDL), located in northern Baltimore City, serves Loyola University Maryland and Notre Dame of Maryland University. It is a member of the University System of Maryland and Affiliated Institutions (USMAI). The library serves as an integral part of the campuses by providing information services and resources to support the academic programs and educational concerns of the two institutions. Loyola University Maryland, a member of the Association of Jesuit Colleges and Universities, is recognized for excellence in teaching and learning. Notre Dame of Maryland University is a leader in the education of women and non-traditional students. The Library serves a student population of 6,100 FTE.
The Library offers an excellent benefit package that includes medical, access to dental, life, disability insurance, and TIAA‐CREF retirement. Successful candidates will be subject to a pre‐employment background check.
The Loyola Notre Dame Library is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national and ethnic origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, disability, or age.
Employment Opportunities at LNDL
Archivist for Digital Initiatives
Archivist for Digital Initiatives
The Loyola Notre Dame Library seeks an innovative and collaborative individual to manage accessioning, processing, preserving, and providing access to digital materials in Archives and Special Collections. Reporting to the Head of Archives and Special Collections, the Archivist for Digital Initiatives’ role includes planning, policy development, managing platforms and tools, creating metadata, and collaboration on related outreach and public services initiatives. The successful candidate will be creative, flexible, and enthusiastic about serving our two university communities through increased access to and robust preservation of digital materials. Early career professionals are encouraged to apply.
- Develop, document, and implement procedures for accessioning, arranging, describing, and providing access to born-digital materials according to professional standards
- Arrange and describe both analog and born-digital archival materials
- Develop, document, and implement policies and procedures for the preservation of digital materials
- Collaborate with library colleagues to develop metadata supporting the discovery and management of digital content
- Collaborate with library colleagues to support digital scholarship initiatives at our two member institutions
- Supervise in-house and outsourced digitization projects
- Contribute to Archives-oriented outreach, including social media, library website, presentations, and exhibits
- Perform liaison duties to promote services and resources to faculty
- Supervise, train, and evaluate student assistants, interns, and/or volunteers
- Perform other duties as assigned
- MLS or equivalent from an ALA-accredited program (by June 2020)
- Experience with the arrangement and description of archival collections
- Demonstrated knowledge of strategies developed or adopted by the archival community for managing born-digital archival material
- Demonstrated knowledge of digital preservation standards and other archival content and metadata standards relevant to the control of digital collections
- Experience with platforms for the discovery, management, and preservation of digital collections, such as Preservica
- Demonstrated aptitude for learning new technologies and skills
- Experience managing multiple projects at once
- Ability to communicate well verbally and in writing
- Ability to establish and maintain successful working relationships within the library and with our two university communities
- Experience creating metadata for digital objects
- Experience with web archiving activities and tools
- Supervisory experience
Review of applications will begin March 24, 2020 and the position will remain open until filled. Please submit electronically a resume, cover letter, and a list of three (3) references with “Archivist for Digital Initiatives” in the subject line to Briana Marine, Administrative Operations Coordinator: firstname.lastname@example.org
Employment Opportunities at Our Member Institutions